Saturday 20 March 2010

Musicians and "the conspiracy"

A couple of days ago I mentioned that there could be a "conspiracy" behind modern music and art. Well, guess what? Composers are not sure whether there is a conspiracy themselves....

Leading English composer Sir Michael Tippett, who recently died, wrote melodious music in his youth, which presumably did not get played. So he developed a more unattractive modern-classical style, and even then his music did not get played, except on his 90th birthday. Possibly, when he was "hailed", in his later years as a leading composer, he came to terms with modern music. But clearly there was a deep disturbing question at the back of his mind all his life. See this:

Tippett said: "I know that if I am true to the music in me, it must be a music of my agonies and your agonies, as much as a music of, what shall I say, of heart-easing qualities? And yet I am quite certain, in my heart of hearts, that modern music and modern art is not a conspiracy, but is a form of truth and integrity for those who practise it honestly, decently and with all their being."

No comments:

Post a Comment