Saturday 23 January 2021

My Chivalric Statement

I've always loved the concept of chivalry which is the christianising of the medieval military code of honour.  I much prefer chivalric ideas which are social, moral and religious codes to trendy and empty secular 'mission statements'.

My Chivalric Statement  - based on a 10th Century Knight's Code of Honour

Knowledge and Light

  • I will attempt to uphold reason, learning and compassion, even at personal cost in this often evil, malicious, benighted and deceitful era. 
  • I will resist the dark forces that are actively and wickedly seeking to fragment and crush order, tradition, the church, history, culture, spiritual and physical life with the aim of extinguishing the divine light of Truth and Wisdom.
  • I will do my best to promote knowledge, understanding and enjoyment of knowledge.  Where I peceive things wrongly, or without impartiality, I will apologise for my error knowing I am merely a flawed human being with flawed perception.
  • I will fight to uphold freedom of expression, religion and belief.
  • I will raise awareness about the ploys of those who bully others who are more sensitive, whole and healthy than they are, who seek to break them through fear, jealousy and and malice. I will do this by actively spreading awareness of the effective technique of 'assertiveness'.
  • I will politely challenge those who promulgate damaging partial truth - such as academics, bloggers, politicians, officials and journalists.  I will explain to them the truths of the Christian faith where they have failed to research, integrate and acknowlege them. 
  • I will counter the arguments of those those who seek to judge others on unreliable grounds and those misusing the spurious and wicked phrase: "There is no scientific evidence to prove ABC'.  I will credit true and noble scientists and doctors, but not scientific imposters and scientific abusers.
  • I will cut off contact with those who display open contempt for others and call out those who lack respect. I will not express sneering contempt and mockery myself.
  • I will try to avoid unfairness, deceit, dishonesty, malice and thinking the worst of people without proper insight, respect and decency.  
  • I will speak truth to power without fear, but with courtesy.
Dignity and Honour
  • I will treat all people as made in the image of God, even if that image is much warped and defaced, without bias against their social class, educational background, wealth, ethnicity, disability, gender, age or belief. 
  • I will actively challenge those who treat those less educated less as second class citizens and with less respect than the well-educated and comfortably off.
  • I will uphold the dignity of the brokenhearted, disabled and ill, whether they are children, men or women. 
  • I will stand by those on the receiving end without a voice, particularly those with post viral syndrome. I will fully honour their testimony (unlike so many in the past).  
  • I will try to make an added effort to keep in regular touch with those living alone, particularly those who are also disabled and ill.
  • I will never put my trust in any ideology invented by any man or women, political group or cult - because they are all inherently and dangerously flawed. 
  • I will only credit and honour those systems which fully integrate the core values of the Christian faith. I will attempt to further develop my own ability to discern truth applied to the secular world by the light of Christian doctrine. 
  • I will seek no rewards in this life. Any I receive I will thank God for and those who saw some scintilla of good in me. I will continue to look out for and to commend others for rightful honour. I will seek to uphold the decency so that an honour is not discredited and withdrawn. 
  • I will honour the arts, artists and musicians in their quest share truth and beauty.
  • I will uphold the promises I have made.
  • I will encourage men to treat all women with the same respect as they treat men.
  • I will actively respect the right of others to health and safety and take responsibility for all my actions which could endanger their health.
Kingdom
  • I will live in harmony with all, as far as my integrity and faith allows me to and try to remain courteous as far as the patience I have so far developed allows.   
  • I will seek to pursue patience, faith, calmness and a quiet life of diligence.
  • I will persevere in my pursuits, once seriously taken up as confirmed and determined upon through prayer.  
  • I will support the work of the servants of the Gospel, here and abroad, and seek to share the scriptural truths that my life has tested and found reliable with those who genuinely seek after truth.
  • I will care for ('steward') tame and wild creatures, plants and local wildllife, care for the environment and for the future of the biosphere, in whatever way I am able to do, whether through policy, through practice and through creative experimentation. 
  • I will protect trees, wherever possible and plant them, both through funding, by nurture and by hand.
  • I will consider further ways of reducing my carbon footprint including considering building a sustainable house and community.   
  • I will practice constant improvement in music, cookery, languages, writing and culture and seek to refine my use plain English that respects the true meaning of words.
  • I will honour transparent democracy and the order that God has ordained, honour the Queen and respect all the peoples of the Commonwealth (formerly "The British Empire"), the people of Europe (particularly Italy) and the peoples of the wider world.
  • I will consider how to do good to this and to the next generation and through leaving a 'legacy for good'.
I will take as my motto of chivalry Philippians 4:8 which says "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things".





No comments:

Post a Comment